Saturday, April 16

Simply Delish - Vegan Muffin(tops)

Every once in awhile I stumble upon a recipe that I have to try right then and there.  Even more rare is when that happens and I actually have all of the proper ingredients (or acceptable substitutes) so that I actually do make them.  Emily provided just one of those recipes with her vegan Blueberry Banana Whole Wheat Muffin recipe over at her blog, the Daily Garnish.

Unable to resist the promise of muffin-y goodness, I got to work.  The only problem...?  I didn't take any pictures until I made a second batch, anyways...
oh. my. yumness! 
Emily's recipe calls for the following ingredients (my modifications will be noted in parentheses and in blue)

Ingredients (12 large muffins)
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour  (I didn't have this, I used 1c all purpose and 1c graham flour)
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt (I used regular sea salt)
  • 1/3 cup organic cane sugar (I used turbinado sugar)
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp ground flax (+3 tbsp water) (this is to make the vegan baking egg.  Use 1 egg to make un-vegan muffin)
  • 1 very ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup almond or soy milk
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries (I had fresh ones that I needed to get out of my fridge)
Method
  • Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
  • Start the "flax egg"  Mix the ground flax and the 3tbsp water in a separate, small dish (I used a condiment bowl).  Set aside and allow to thicken.
  • Next mix all the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, salt and your sugars
  • In another bowl, mash up the banana, then a the wet ingredients: vanilla, milk & stir in the flax-egg.
  • Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry mix until everything is combined.
  • Sample the batter (because it's vegan so you can)
  • and add your fruit or mix-ins
I did not use muffin tins or liners.  Instead I simply used a cookie sheet, some parchment paper and some canola spray (just a little to give weight to the parchment paper).  I then put a healthy spoonful some of the batter on the sheet -- yields about 6 muffin tops per cookie sheet.  This batter is pretty thick so it really does not spread out much.
still on the parchment paper
Bake in the oven for approximately twenty minutes.  Then.... simply enjoy!

--happy living

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scouter Pup

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...