Unable to resist the promise of muffin-y goodness, I got to work. The only problem...? I didn't take any pictures until I made a second batch, anyways...
|oh. my. yumness!|
Ingredients (12 large muffins)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I didn't have this, I used 1c all purpose and 1c graham flour)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (I used regular sea salt)
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar (I used turbinado sugar)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flax (+3 tbsp water) (this is to make the vegan baking egg. Use 1 egg to make un-vegan muffin)
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond or soy milk
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (I had fresh ones that I needed to get out of my fridge)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Start the "flax egg" Mix the ground flax and the 3tbsp water in a separate, small dish (I used a condiment bowl). Set aside and allow to thicken.
- Next mix all the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, salt and your sugars
- In another bowl, mash up the banana, then a the wet ingredients: vanilla, milk & stir in the flax-egg.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry mix until everything is combined.
- Sample the batter (because it's vegan so you can)
- and add your fruit or mix-ins
I did not use muffin tins or liners. Instead I simply used a cookie sheet, some parchment paper and some canola spray (just a little to give weight to the parchment paper). I then put a healthy spoonful some of the batter on the sheet -- yields about 6 muffin tops per cookie sheet. This batter is pretty thick so it really does not spread out much.
|still on the parchment paper|
Bake in the oven for approximately twenty minutes. Then.... simply enjoy!