Thursday, May 5

mexiquinoa (a cinco de mayo delight)

Happy Cinco de Mayo and Happy Birthday to my dear friend Maggie!!!!


So really, there is nothing special about this dish.  However, because I have recently stopped eating meat, instead of rice I use quinoa, which is a source of complete protein.


If you want a really nice breakdown on quinoa, what it is and why it's wonderful, you can read Emily's post over at the Daily Garnish (read here


Ingredients for MexiQuinoa (Yields 4 - 5 servings)
  • 1¼ c. Quinoa
  • 1 can of Black Beans
  • 1 can of Pinto Beans
  • 1 fire roasted red pepper (diced)
  • ½ onion (diced and sautéed)
  • Salsa (whatever your preference)
  • 1 to 2 tbsp Sour cream
  • ⅛ - ¼ c. shredded cheese (depending on cheesy preference)
  • Tortilla chips
So first off, I rinse boil 2 cups of water.  While I'm waiting for it to boil, I rinse off the quinoa in the sink.
Once the water boils, I dump the quinoa in.  Stir occassionally.  Like rice, it will absorb all of the water moreover, when the little tails sprout, it's done.  


While the quinoa is cooking, I dice and sauté the onion and once that starts to cook down, I add the fire roasted red pepper


I open the can of black and pinto beans and rinse them off.


Once the quinoa is done cooking, I add the beans to the grain. As those are incorporated, I add the onion and pepper mixture.  Then I add the salsa, sour cream and shredded cheese and mix it all together.  


The brilliance of the recipe is that it really does not require a lot of cheese or sour cream before it becomes deliciously creamy... 


Add to a bowl, and scoop with tortilla chips and enjoy!


--happy living

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scouter Pup

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...