Sunday, January 23

oh. sweet. cornholio (cornbread)...

Let the cooking adventures commence...

I've been feeling much more inspired in the kitchen lately. This might have something to do with the fact that the "2010 black friday sales" led to us buying brand-new (stainless *grin*) kitchen appliances! YIPPEE!!! We only got to have them delivered at the beginning of January, so they are still very new to us. Either way, for the first time in a long time, I've actually been left feeling rather inspired in the kitchen.

(love. love. love.)

So, awhile back I had bought a box of cornbread mix from Trader Joe's. And immediately proceeded to store it in the back of the pantry and do absolutely nothing with it. Until yesterday, that is.

The day had come. I pulled that box out of the pantry and decided to put it to good use.

First things first. The directions were pretty simple/standard and the mix was terrific. Full of nice chunks of corn kernels:

see that beautiful new range?

  • 1 box of mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. oil
  • 3/4 c. milk
However, I wanted my cornbread to have a bit more sweetness to it. So I modified. I used 3/8 c. olive oil and 1/8 c. coconut oil. I also swapped some of the milk for 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk, and added 2 capfuls of vanilla and 4 tsp of sugar.

ready to bake!

nom-nom-nom!

The end result? I'm just going to say, DELISH! It wasn't perfect by any means. I'm still figuring out the kinks of the new appliances. My cornbread (in the souffle cups, at lease) was a hair dryer than I would prefer, but the flavor? The flavor was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scouter Pup

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...